Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Won-Ton-A-Mera!

Before
After
After, after


Last Friday I saw "My Week With Marilyn," a good movie with great acting that made me feel just, melancholy 

:(

(sigh)

So I was craving some comfort food, and yes, this usually includes massive amounts of pasta, But I went for the biggest bowl of won ton soup from PF Changs instead.
And while this is a fine establishment, I was quite dissapointed-the won tons were not fully cooked and the broth was tasteless.

And so, I decided this week to make some seriously satisfying Won Ton Soup.
I had planned on spending the evening in the kitchen Monday, but when I opened the package of ground veal for the won tons, a rank odor filled the kitchen and I quickly dumped the whole rotten thing.


And so, Tuesday was my day to create!

I started to make a bubbling broth of chicken bouillon, onion bouillon, and bay leaves.
Then I grated ginger and garlic

While the flavors came together, I mixed ground beef with soy sauce, lemon juice, rice vinegar, garlic powder, ground ginger, and an egg

And started making triangular parcels of meat with won ton wrappers



Every once in a while I added more ingredients to the soup-
Oyster mushrooms,
Baby Bok Choy (courtesy of the asian market in upper darby, H Mart, thanks for the introduction, Beardface) 


Then I added about 25 won tons to the soup and some scallions too


I seasoned the broth a bit with soy sauce


And it became a gorgeous, rich soup with tons of flavor and fulfilling components.


And then...I realized I had made far too many won tons!
I took the remaining 20 and greased 'em up too good with oil and threw them in the oven, baking them to a near burnt crisp!
Luckily, for the photo's sake, only one side was charred-
I made a dipping sauce of rice vinegar, soy sauce, olive oil, sriracha, garlic and ginger powder.

Despite some of the "burnies," it was still a quality side dish!
Mostly because the sauce was tangy and spicy and suited my palate perfectly.


Excellent meal for a rainy, gloomy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment