Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Feelin' Hunggggarian

If you talk to me for ehh, 7 minutes-Hungary/abroad is bound to come up
It's been over a year-and yes, I know I shouldn't still be this excited and obsessed
But the country charmed me
I am under some kind of Hungarian Spell 
Love Potion Number Kilenc 


And i'm lucky that 4 other DU kids went on my 20 person CIEE program (dominateddd)
and that we all love each other and get together for good food and good reminiscing 


While I usually make Lesco (pronounced Let-cho), i decided to change it up a bit


Atypical Hungarian Stuffed Cabbage 

Filling:
First I did make a pretty traditional Lesco-
but i fried up the sweet Texas onions in veg oil and salt and a ton of paprika paste (piros arany, it is literally a paste that comes in a tube and has unreal flavor, and i use it in nearly everything i make, and even sometimes just with raw vegetables for snacking, and sometimes i add a bit to greek yogurt for breakfast-dont make fun of me-its awesome.) 
when i was being a bit overzealous with the paprika paste, some squirted onto my shirt-and i looked later and the paste is so serious my belly was stained orange! hahah i laughed out loud  
so i added 2 green peppers/2 yellow peppers chopped real small
there is no equivalent to the flavor that a Hungarian paprika pepper has-but ive experimented a great deal-and i think half green half yellow works alright
Stewed, for a long time-i really wanted the peppers to sing
then some bouillon, some salt, some lemon, some sweet (edes) paprika
Stewed, for a long time-layering flavors
Then i added ground turkey-some more salt, Maggi, more edes paprika, and sour cream (which is a first for me-but it added a nice tangy flavor)
And let everything meld together, layer, for another while


Stuffing the cabbage:
I steamed some cabbage to make them flexible and easy to work with, took the leaves piece by piece and added a spoonful of filling-wrapped up it up, and placed it back into the pot-and then i kept the pot on low heat to allow the flavors to develop even more


And there you go-
Neat and tight packages of Hungarian Love

No comments:

Post a Comment