Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Making Tom, Gail, and Padma Proud


So when people ask me about my view of reality tv-which obviously happens often due to my "television afficionado" status-my immediate, jerk reaction, is a disgusted face.

HOWEVER-

i think some reality tv is kinda incredible 
i used to obsess over American Idol (shout out to halls 5 south)
I am in a serious relationship with the cooking channel
not to offend my first love, the food network
and of course the travel channel 
But, there is something special about Bravo.
I feel like Bravo revolutionized reality television into not only something incredibly entertaining, but educational-and starred people that are relatable and lovable-
andd produced the show that reigns supreme over any other, TOP CHEF


So to make an event out of this season's finale-my rooms suggested we make dinner from the Top Chef Cookbook (and of course Annie is as devoted as I am, and made the finest decision to buy the cookbook)

Casey and Dale's Turkey and Pork Meatballs with Orecchiette Pasta and Spinach-Almond Pesto

So,
I watch recipes being prepared
I read recipes in magazines, online, various cook books
But even when i was first starting out...
Neverrrr did i follow a recipe.
They're wonderful for inspiration-but to follow one?
You see, cooking is a creative outlet for me-
i combine new and interesting flavors and textures in different ways-its my favorite activity, my release-and following a recipe would contradict all that i love about cooking
(Oy-this makes me sound like such a snob, huh?)


BUT, I really respect Casey and Dale
SO I reallyyy tried to follow their directions!


For the Meatballs:
Ground turkey, ground pork, garlic powder, parm, beadcrumbs, some softened minced onions, parsley, fresh oregano, white wine, lemon zest (which was a serious feat without having an actual grater, i used the edge of a sharp serrated knife), egg, salt
fried 'em up in some oil in batches and set on a paper towel 


Pasta:
normal and al dente, drained and set aside


Vegetables:
cauliflower, artichoke hearts-i left out the baby carrots because uuhhh i dont like them all cooked, and i added some broccoli stem too-just sauteed in some wine wine and a little salt and peppa


Spinach Almond Pesto:
Chopped the spinach, garlic powder, sliced almonds, parm, lemon juice, veg oil, and my own addition-carmelized onions-
but something inexplicable happened to the food processor! i dont know whats wrong-
So, my super duper amazing next door neighbors and friends AMANDA and JORDAN let me use their magic bullet-
and i did it in batches-and it worked perrrfectly! that little bullet is truly magical.


mixed everything up in a big pot


finished in exemplary time, right as the finale began


That night, i had some seriously scrumptious pasta, lovely company/conversation during commercials...but what was most satisfying? RICHARD WON! Love you Richie, you clever, whimsical chef, you have finally gained The Title...of...TOP CHEF

No comments:

Post a Comment